Hi! I am Mary Daugherty, a Colorado Springs Family attorney and I'd like to discuss Appointment of Guardian.

I've had a handful of clients come to me with the heartbreaking question: "What happens to my kids if I become too sick to take care of them, or if I die?"

Appoint A Legal Guardian

The most important legal step to take is to sign an Appointment of Guardian arranging for a friend or family member to become the guardian of your children in case anything happens to you. There are different kinds of documents you can use, but this method is clear and legally recognized.

Here is how Appointment of Guardian works:

First, your attorney drafts your Appointment of Guardian, in which you specify who you would like to be the guardian of your children in case you become too sick, pass away, or are otherwise unable to take care of them.

Then, if it ever becomes necessary, that person can use your Appointment of Guardian document to petition for guardianship through state court.

If both parents are available, both parents should sign Appointments of Guardian so that there is no question as to the parents' intentions.

If your child is age 12 or older at the time your friend or family member files for guardianship, your child will have to consent to the guardianship.

Putting Your Mind At Ease

An Appointment of Guardian is a straightforward way to plan for your children in the worst-case scenario. Hopefully it will also put your mind at ease.

Make An Appointment With Mary

If you would like to set up an Appointment of Guardian, please call my office to schedule a consultation at 719-215-0577.

I hope you found this information helpful! Please give me a call if you need more information about Appointment of Guardian. I am Mary Daugherty. Thank you for watching!!


Contact Mary Daugherty Now!


Colorado Springs Divorce Attorney Mary Daugherty offers low-cost divorce if you and your spouse are in basic agreement with the terms of a Colorado divorce I can save you a LOT of money! Give me a call to see if a low-cost divorce is right for you!

Contact Mary