Spouse And Fiancé Visas

Get Help With Spouse And Fiancé Visas

Daugherty Law LLC can help you with your family visa, bringing a fiancé or spouse to the USA. We can also assist you in adjusting your status to become a permanent resident.

Fiancé Visa (K-1 and K-2)

Are you ready to bring your fiancé to the United States? You can bring them to the USA using a K-1 visa, but first, they must meet immigration and screening requirements. Do they have unmarried children under 21 years old? Their children are eligible to come to the USA with a K-2 visa. The K-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa and only available if you and your fiancé are not married and they are NOT currently in the USA.

The main requirements for the K-1 Visa are:

  • The petitioner must be a United States Citizen
  • The US Citizen and their fiancé must have met in person during the last two years.
  • Both the US Citizen and fiancé must be willing to get married and be able to get married.

Getting your fiancé visa is not always as simple as it sounds. Do you have special circumstances? An immigration lawyer can help you evaluate your dating and marital history, your criminal background, and any previous immigration issues. Applying through some US Consulates is more difficult, too.

If you are petitioning children at the same time, the difficulty increases. Your immigration attorney will make sure everything is done at the right time, the paperwork is complete, and will advise you on how to deal with challenging situations.

K-3 Spouse Visa

Are you already married? Then a K-3 Spouse Visa may be what you need. It is a non-immigrant marriage visa for foreign spouses for US citizens. It is used to quickly bring families back together. The US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) processes all K-3 spouse visas. This temporary visa allows your spouse to stay in the USA for two years, instead of requiring you to wait until their immigrant visa is approved. You will need to file for an adjustment of status.

K-3 Spouse Visa Can Be A Challenge

Obtaining your K-3 visa can be challenging depending on your situation. Your immigration attorney will help you evaluate your marital, criminal, and immigration records to choose the best course of action. They can also advise you on the best ways to work with your local US Consulate. Are you petitioning children, too? Your attorney will help process all paperwork to assure everything is done at the proper time and properly filed.

An American citizen residing abroad can bring their spouse to the USA with a K-3 visa, also. The basic requirement for the applicant are:

  • Must be legally married to an American citizen.
  • Must have fulfilled the normal requirement at the place their marriage took place.
  • All previous marriages must have been terminated.

The following supporting documents are required along with your application:

  • Valid Passport
  • Police Clearance Certificate from Local or National Police
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Birth Certificate
  • Evidence of Support from U.S. Citizen (spouse)
  • Divorce or Death Certificate To Prove Termination of Previous Marriages
  • Medical Exam Report from Authorized Exam Center

Get Help From A Colorado Springs Immigration Attorney

If you have questions about the proper visa and requirements for your immigration case, we can help. Please give Mary Daugherty a call today to schedule a consultation – she can help you!


Colorado Springs Divorce Attorney Mary Daugherty offers low-cost divorce if you and your spouse are in basic agreement with the terms of a Colorado divorce I can save you a LOT of money! Give me a call to see if a low-cost divorce is right for you!

Contact Mary